Discussing ministry in the workplace – “Whatever your passion is, that’s your vision”

I had a speaking engagement coming up. I was to be the keynote speaker and was being paid well for it and the audience would be larger than most audiences I’d spoken before.  It was an honour to be asked and I was excited about it.

But the day that dawned found me not in a good state. I wasn’t feeling very well in the morning and as the day progressed I found myself to be teary and anxious.  Clients were ringing and demanding my time and I just didn’t feel like I was in control.  I was getting easily upset and watched the clock anxiously.

I had my stuff packed – books, order forms, magazines, one of my awards in a frame to show, my presentation had been written several days before.  I had everything ready, it’s just that I didn’t feel ready.

I sought prayer from a couple of women’s groups I belong to and my husband prayed for me in the morning before he left for work.  He rang me about a half hour before I was due to leave.

The trip was almost 100kms and I allowed 2 hours to get there – I had thought it should take about 1 3/4 hours.  It should have, but didn’t. The traffic was bad, the wind very strong and I got lost in a town that I don’t know very well. I had instructions and had looked it up in the Melways but somehow I was looking for a street on my right instead of on my left and before I knew it I was heading back out of that town so did a u-turn and was heading back in the direction I’d come. Where had I gone wrong?

I sms’d my husband to say I was lost and then rang the Telco company to get connected to the venue and the receptionist there talked me in over the phone. How embarrassing! By this time I was crying and in a real state.  Hubby rang me just as I was finding the venue and wished me all the best.  As I walked up the steep hilly road from the nearest parking spot I could find I hoped that my makeup hadn’t streaked and that things would get better from hereon.

I couldn’t even unpack my display of books properly for sales or anything – only a few things on the space they’d left for me on the table and then I was rushed to my seat so they could start the proceedings.  All I could do was sit in my seat and think I hadn’t even been able to grab my prepared notes or anything and God, what am I going to do?

Well, I calmed down and was on after the main meal, nearly an hour and half later.  I had a brief opportunity to grab my notes but didn’t get to read them  I did get to listen to the other speakers (it was an awards night) and I found a common theme amongst all of those who spoke briefly and even the women at my table.  I prayed briefly, got up and opened my mouth to speak and before I knew it I was being signalled there were only 10 mins to go, 5, then 2 and I finished. Where did that time go? I was able to refer to those others who had been up before me, engaged the audience in answering questions and shared information I’d learnt from the woman sitting next to me less than an hour before.  It seems the whole night was the perfect match for what I knew I needed to talk about.  I spoke about dreams and visions, and passions and how your passion is really your vision for life.  I quoted from Proverbs 31:10 at the end of it. I had people laughing in the audience, people looking thoughtful, nodding their heads in agreement when I spoke of the value of women being in the home and how our children benefit from that.  At one stage you could have heard a pin drop – it was awesome being up there in front of over 100 people and not a person was moving or talking – all were listening.  What an amazing experience that was.

Afterward a young teenage girl in school uniform came to ask me if I am a Christian and she was excited as she thought I was. We had a lovely conversation about her plans, dreams and vision.  Others were inspired to come tell me they’re going to pursue their dreams – one woman in her 40s who had always wanted to tap dance. I told her to go for it!  Another spoke of how she’d always wanted to write.

God was there and it went well, and it had to be from Him because I was in a mess leading up to the event. Isn’t He good?  Just goes to show you have to let Him take the lead and when He does, no matter how well prepared you are, or how badly things seem to be going, it will turn out in the way He had planned. You have to let Him take the lead.

6 Comments so far »

1. by Rodney Olsen, on March 5 2009 @ 1:52 pm

In my previous job I was regularly preaching at various churches.

It always amazed me what people would comment on after the service. Many times it wouldn’t be the main theme of my ‘carefully crafted sermon’ but something that God had been dealing with in that person’s life. God would use my words to talk to people about something completely different.

All my planning would come to nothing … it was all about God.

2. by Kathie, on March 5 2009 @ 2:03 pm

Thanks Rodney. I never ended up giving the speech I had prepared, although I covered a small portion of it. Never once referred to my notes – I just opened my mouth and out came a message. And it would seem, the right one too as I later had feedback from the MC that three people spoke to her afterwards telling her she’d chosen the right person for that job. Indeed it was all about God.

3. by Pam Archer, on March 7 2009 @ 4:06 pm

God is clear in His word that He hates pride. When we begin to think that we are anything special, we can fall flat on our face. It is only by his grace that we are allowed to shine at all. Sometimes He allows that to happen, just so that we will rely on Him and let it be all about Him and not us. I can’t count the number of times I have experienced this type of thing. When I rely on HIm, He always comes through, just like He did for you. This post reminds me of a current praise and worship song:

It’s all about you, Jesus
    And all this is for you
    For your glory and your fame
    It’s not about me
    As if you should do things my way
    You are God alone, and I surrender
    To your ways.

You are also very fortunate to have such a loving and supportive husband. I have one of those too, and it makes all the difference. I feel so bad for our sister, Debbie and how badly she is struggling.

4. by Beverly Mahone, on March 8 2009 @ 1:12 am

Kathie,

I’m not sure where the scripture is but it refers to a “fire shut up in my bones.” That fire was stirred in you that morning. Sometimes I think God shakes up up, stirs up that fire in us and leads us down His path. In the end, you were an awesome blessing to someone. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

5. by Claudia @ Memories & Nostalgia, on March 8 2009 @ 12:57 pm

Although I haven’t stood in front of a crowd to speak often, I have lead woman’s Bible Studies over the years, and I can tell you that there is not one single time that there wasn’t nerves before….and joy in seeing what God had done after. As you have shared, God gives the words, He keeps us in a humble place so we must depend on Him.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it’s an encouragement to me.

Claudia

6. by Melodieann Whiteley, on March 8 2009 @ 3:30 pm

You are such an inspiration! Always a reminder to let God lead my life. Did you know that it’s partly because of you and your gentle teaching that I started down the path that has led to all of the recent changes in my life and my focus? I’m just glad that one of the people God led me to was you!

Comment RSS · TrackBack URI

Name: (Required)

eMail: (Required)

Website:

Comment:

About Author

John 5:17
Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working."

My name is Kathie and I live in Melbourne, Australia. I grew up always knowing that God was with me and formally accepted Christ as my Saviour when I was 14 years old. I have had many experiences where God has been involved at my places of work and amongst my work colleagues.

A few years ago I heard the founder of Australian Christian TV speak - I don't remember a lot of his talk but I do remember one particular phrase that has stuck with me ever since. He said "Whatever your passion is, that's your vision" . It struck a chord with me and I realised that the very things that made me passionate are the same things that I do daily in my business, and through those things I know I touch many lives. I believe I am where our Lord wants me to be.

I've recently been reading Faith & Work: Do They Mix? by Os Hillman. Excellent book and it was whilst reading it, I got the idea for this blog - and was pleasantly surprised that this domain was waiting for me to purchase. I will be sharing what I've been learning through reading and research in the hope that it will also provide answers to your searches and prayers. Would love to hear from you. Bless you, KMT