Discussing ministry in the workplace – “Whatever your passion is, that’s your vision”

If you’re like me, and run a business, then the topic of Tithing would have been on your mind more than once. Should you be tithing on your gross profit or your net profit? It’s a question I’d often wondered about but wasn’t sure of the answer. Different people I’d spoken to in the past had given me different answers but ultimately the decision had been left up to me and I’d prayed to God about it from time to time.

Last weekend the Business Ministry Team I’m a member of had a meeting and a chance comment brought up this topic. Turns out one of the men has counselled other Christian Business Owners on this topic and his comments were sound and valid. It’s been on my mind ever since and I decided to look it up further on the internet to validate what he’d said and it’s interesting I never did this before. I should have, but it never entered my head. At any rate, the articles I found were very good and kept referring back to the same source – Charles Spurgeon and his teachings. I’ve actually linked one of the references on this blog because I believe it important for others to see too – perhaps you are someone who’s been questioning this same thing?

I’ve always tithed for as long as I’ve known about it. In fact, when I returned back to work after the birth of my last child nearly 20 years ago, I told God that I would tithe if He provided me with a badly needed job at that time – He did and I followed through and have done so ever since. KMT
, , ,

6 Comments so far »

1. by Barbara, on July 23 2006 @ 11:55 am

I always struggle with tithing Kathie.

My husband is an unbeliever and finances are tight. We have a shared income and account and it is not easy to give away my 10% from this imcome. I give what I can, when I can.. The last time I suggested it, it did not get a very warm reception and so I just trust and pray.. what more can I do..

2. by Kathie, on July 25 2006 @ 5:48 am

I can appreciate your struggle Barbara and God will know it too. In fact, the post I mentioned above relates to many years ago, when I wasn’t working and married to a man who didn’t believe either, so I prayed to God about how I wanted to tithe and that I promised I would if He would supply me with work. He did and I have ever since. Your situation is slightly different as you’re already producing an income. But ask God to show you how you can contribute in your current situation – He may make some changes in your life. Trust and pray is exactly what you should be doing. Bless you.

3. by juliet williams, on August 16 2008 @ 6:47 am

about 2yrs ago the Lord lead me to leave my job to work along side my husband at that time we had a 6 year running family buisnes with 4 employee. i automactically start to tithes every money that came in, “by he way husband is not yet save”; my husband began to query what’s happying with the money. we have a paint and body shop. I was tithing every thing without taking out the money we spent on materials, and parts, not too mention payroll. my husband continued questioning why we could not pay the staff at the end of the week. please help! I need some help on this situation.

4. by Kathie, on August 16 2008 @ 8:31 am

Hi Juliet, lovely to hear from you. Even if your husband isn’t yet saved, he is still head of your household and tithing his income without discussing it with him is not something that God would want you to do. We’ve had this discussion at our church from time to time. If you want to tithe, then it must be on your own income for now and keep praying to God about it.

I did exactly this myself many years ago. I could only apportion what was mine and needed to leave God to do His part.

Do you receive a salary or wage or anything from your business? If so, then begin tithing on that only. If not, then you cannot tithe until your husband is in agreement with you. Keep praying for his protection and salvation and get the book ‘The Power of a Praying Wife” by Stormie Omartian.

5. by Afolabi, on August 31 2008 @ 2:59 am

Am glad about some of the comments I read through your site.Well,for me I 0perate a business that generate income daily,and I run the expenses to keep the operation running.My puzzle is,do I tithe 10th of my income which includes the daily expenses like fueling,repairs,booking, and the salary/wages of my staffs and monthly access fee,rent,tax,the service providers .et.c. or 10th of my profit/increase?.Please,I need your advice.

6. by Kathie, on August 31 2008 @ 11:29 am

Hello Afolabi and thanks for dropping by. This is indeed a difficult topic for business owners and one that I’ve discussed with business coaches and pastors. Some believe you should be tithing on your gross income, that is before anything else goes out. But if you have borrowed money and have payments due on those borrowings, then in reality they need to be paid back first and you tithe on what is then considered your ‘true income’ before any other expenses. In Malachi the tithe was indeed on the gross, not on the net profit – it doesn’t say anything about loans or anything of that nature.

Have a chat to your pastor about this and then discuss it with God as well. Ultimately it is between you and God and what you believe to be right and true with all your heart will be honoured by God too.

Comment RSS · TrackBack URI

Name: (Required)

eMail: (Required)

Website:

Comment:

About Author

John 5:17
Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working."

My name is Kathie and I live in Melbourne, Australia. I grew up always knowing that God was with me and formally accepted Christ as my Saviour when I was 14 years old. I have had many experiences where God has been involved at my places of work and amongst my work colleagues.

A few years ago I heard the founder of Australian Christian TV speak - I don't remember a lot of his talk but I do remember one particular phrase that has stuck with me ever since. He said "Whatever your passion is, that's your vision" . It struck a chord with me and I realised that the very things that made me passionate are the same things that I do daily in my business, and through those things I know I touch many lives. I believe I am where our Lord wants me to be.

I've recently been reading Faith & Work: Do They Mix? by Os Hillman. Excellent book and it was whilst reading it, I got the idea for this blog - and was pleasantly surprised that this domain was waiting for me to purchase. I will be sharing what I've been learning through reading and research in the hope that it will also provide answers to your searches and prayers. Would love to hear from you. Bless you, KMT